1.28.2011

Days 1 & 2 of my Clinical Experience

Wow it has been a crazy week! Wednesday and Thursday were my first official clinical days, I got a patient of my very own, well kinda I had an RN and Tech, but I took care of my patient. Wednesday I woke up early to work on a bit of homework and headed to clinical at 12. My stomach was full of knots and I was nauseous, (luckily once I  got to the hospital I found out I was not the only one!) Wednesday was mostly charting and introducing self to patient, looking up history and trying to come up with a care plan... ugh. So as the day progressed I felt more comfortable and less intimidated, at 1700 I told my patient I was leaving and would return in the morning. Wednesday night was full of homework, Care plan, list of nursing diagnosis and collaborative problems for my patient, 28 drugs and rewriting most of my charting from the day, because of my terrible homework. Bed at 0045 and awake at 0515 then back to the hospital to use my care plan to care for my patient, busy busy busy. I had to do about 15 assessments right off the bat and they took me 2.5 hours! I really hope I will get better at these and not take 2.5 hours every time. Will I was there I learned a lot about my patient and tried to help all I could. I also assisted with all I was aloud to and observed some pretty cool procedures. I actually enjoyed clinical! It was somewhat sad at the end of the day when I had to say bye, but it was exhausting and I was ready for bed. I talked with my momma later and she explained I will catch on and begin to do things without thinking, (I cannot wait for that day!) Anyway I just figured I'd want to remember my first day and how intimidated and freaked out I was, all my professors say we will not be able to recognize ourselves that we are now by the end of the semester and that gets me so excited! So far clinical is awesome, but I hate paperwork and staying up all night/waking up super early! Thursday night I had to finish homework for Friday and go to bed early! Today I learned how to insert IVs and I am officially able to administer drugs to patients!!! Its an awesome feeling to finally be able to see the end of school, only 2 and 3/4 semesters left, then it will be time for the real world!! Crazy how fast time goes by.
PS still staying healthy and buy this time of the year I have usually been sick several times! Thanks for the prayers!
Tonight I am going to relax ahhhh, something that is somewhat foreign while in nursing school.

No comments:

Post a Comment